Sunday, May 1, 2011

Family Wanderings

When I was a kid my family spent a great deal of time traveling the back roads of Vermont.  The Sunday drives brought me, my parents and two brothers to secluded lakes and ponds dotted with rustic cottages and general stores with a jingle of the door-top bell and creak of the old wooden floors, to many spectacular spots with sweeping Green Mountains vistas.

It was the late 60s and early 70s when there were no GPS devices to guide our travels.  We had a full tank of gas, our trusty Vermont State Map - which showed most of the roads - my father's 35mm camera, and a well-honed sense of direction.  At scenic locations along the way the family would file out of the car and patiently (most of the time) pose for the photos that now grace the dusty old family photo albums.  This instilled a somewhat inherent sense to study maps and simply see where the road will lead.

My family in the "People Pen" at Shelburne Farms, Shelburne, Vermont
Today, my 8-year-old son and wife humor me most of the time when I want to check out something that may be a little off the beaten path.  We've been to historic sites, parks, attractions and practically every kid's museum in New England.  We're always on the lookout for interesting places to explore, and as we do, we'll be posting them within these pages.  If nothing else, it will be a personal travelogue of activities and adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment